Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Christmas!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, I know I did! My mom and sisters came up for Christmas and it has been so great to have family here for the holidays. Its even been surprisingly painless having five people in the apartment.

I wanted to share my Christmas decorations with everyone, even though I put my tree up a couple of weeks before Christmas I didn't really put the finishing touches on my decorating until the very last minute, so here it is, better late than never :)I was trying to do kind of a modern Christmas so I chose a less traditional green as my accent color (I was looking for lime green but it turned out to be hard to find) and then I just did mainly silver and white for the rest. I found this really awesome crocodile silver foil wrapping paper at TJ Maxx. The tree ended up being pretty monochromatic which I've never done before but I think it turned out nicely. John mentioned something about there not being any color though so maybe next year I'll have to change it up a little. I didn't bring any Christmas decorations to New York when we moved so in an effort not to spend a fortune I made these cute snowflakes from pipe cleaners. I found the instructions on Martha Stewart's website. I think they turned out great and they were so easy and cheap.
I made this wreath from wire coat hangers and left over branches, its kind of more of an oval than a circle but I was bending the coat hangers myself and I think I did a pretty decent job. The tree vendor was really nice and threw in a big pile of branches from other people's trees since he didn't cut much off of our tree. I had more branches than I knew what to do with, I could have made at least two more wreaths! Just in case you didn't know, everyone in New York gets a real tree because there's no where to store a fake tree the rest of the year. My poor husband had to lug our really decent sized tree several blocks back to our apartment.

PS - I'm up at 2 in the morning blogging because its wintertime in New York which means our apartment is sweltering so we have the windows open and apparently a building very close to ours is on fire because I can smell the smoke and hear every single thing (sirens, breaking glass, chainsaw, etc)!

No comments:

Post a Comment