Thursday, May 6, 2010

Robin Hood

One of the perks of living in NYC is that occasionally you get to go to movie screenings. So far I've been to two. I saw It's Complicated a while ago with Susy and last week John and I got to see Robin Hood. They're kind of fun to go to since you get to see the movie before its released and you get to see it for free :)

John and I both enjoyed Robin Hood, the storyline was great. It was supposed to be the beginning of the Robin Hood we know but I thought it was a little odd that this was the story of the making of the man Robin Hood and Russell Crow and Cate Blanchett(Lady Marion) were clearly in their 40's. I guess every other movie about Robin Hood has portrayed him a little younger. I think I'm maybe getting a little tired of Russell Crow too since he seems to play the same role over and over again. It probably didn't help that we had recently watched Gladiator on tv and Robin Hood is essentially the same story…loyal soldier betrayed by his leader, loses someone important to him, and eventually fights back.

Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the star of the movie, it was still fun to go see and hey, it was free! With the amount of movies John and I go see we could definitely use a free movie every now and then :)

2 comments:

  1. We are eagerly awaiting the movie over here in England. But reading your review it seems my predictions are right-it does seem to be Gladiator revisited.

    I have studied the Robin Hood legend for many years and it has always seemed important to include a lot of humour in the tales. Is there a lot of humour in the Crowe movie?

    My favourite is the Disney live-action movie made in England in 1952. It is now sadly almost completely forgotten about due to the release of the cartoon version in the 1970's. But I run a blog dedicated to it and the legend that inspired it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't much humor in the movie, it was mostly an action film. I've never seen the Disney movie from the 50's, I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete